Saturday, January 23, 2010

DLNA Protocol Error (501)

Thought I'd share my discovery as I searched for the answer to this problem. Been getting the 501 error for the longest time and only today decided to retackle what had previously been insurmountable.

I have numerous Win7 machines, a Windows Home Server from HP, a PS3 and a 360. No machine was experiencing issue except the PS3.

I was about to follow some hack WMP11 installation on the WHS to get to Windows Media Connect settings when I realized that I should probably have that executable somewhere since I was already successfully sharing media elsewhere. Sure enough, under Program File \ Media Connect was the WMCCFG.EXE which I ran.


Turns out Media Connect only allows 10 machines to share streaming with. I had people come and go to my house which populated that list with ALLOWs and DENYs for their machines. Poor XPS3 was unable to be given an ALLOW or DENY. I cleaned up the extraneous machines, found XPS3 was asking for permissions now and hit ALLOW.



No more 501 error and all streamed content is now visible. Thank god!



Of course, to do this you must Remote Desktop into the machine if you have a WHS server. Regardless, people should look at their Media Connect settings.



Hope this helps people out there, especially those with Windows Home Servers who may not be aware of the hidden stuff.

No comments: